Technology Integration into Science Education: Systematic Review and Mapping of Postgraduate Theses in Turkey
This study has two purposes. The first is to determine research trends in studies using technology in science education. The second is to analyze the findings of the postgraduate theses designed by experimental method and make inferences about the role and potential of technology in science education. Accordingly, systematic mapping and systematic literature review approaches have been followed in this study. The review has been carried out in the National Thesis Center of the Turkey Council of Higher Education and 234 graduate theses published between 2014 and 2019 have been examined. 183 of the examined theses have been master's theses and 51 were been doctoral theses. Considering the distribution of postgraduate theses by years, it has been seen that the most research was done in 2018. It has been found that mostly middle school students constituted the study group and quantitative research method has been preferred the most. The majority of the studies reviewed have not referred to integration models or frameworks. It has been determined that experimental design was used in 151 of the postgraduate theses examined. Web applications, animation, simulation and robotics technologies are mostly used in experimental research. In the light of the findings of the research, suggestions have been presented for future studies aiming to examine the use of technology in science education.
By submitting a manuscript to BUJE, an author or all authors accept(s) following items:
- The manuscript I have submitted to BUJE for review is original and, it is not concurrently being considered for publication by any other journal(s).
- The manuscript has been written by the stated author(s) and has not been published in any format elsewhere.
- The manuscript does not violate or infringe the copyright, or other rights of any person or entity.
- The author(s) agrees to grant the following rights to BUJE:
- the right to edit and process the manuscript,
- the right to publish the manuscript in digital form on the Web and in print.