The Implementation of Six Thinking Hats Technique in Teaching Socioscientific Issues and the Analysis of its Effect on Certain Variables
It is aimed to develop some skills such as argumentation, reasoning and decision making in students by implementing different methods and techniques while teaching socio-scientific issues (SSIs). In this regard, in the current study, the purpose was to investigate the effect of six thinking hats technique on students’ academic achievement, critical thinking and decision-making states while teaching SSIs. In the quasi experimental study in which 121 7th grade students participated, while the experimental group was taught SSIs through six thinking hats technique, the current in-class applications were carried out in the control group. The achievement test, Critical Thinking Disposition Instrument (CTI) and Adolescent Decision-Making Questionnaire (ADMQ) were administered in both groups as pre-test and post-test. According to MANOVA findings, it is seen that there are significant differences between the experimental group and the control group in terms of one of the variables of the study, which is the post-test scores in the academic achievement test; however, there is no statistically meaningful difference between CTI and ADMQ post-test scores of the experimental group and the control group. Several recommendations were made after the findings of the study were evaluated in the light of the related literature.
By submitting a manuscript to BUJE, an author or all authors accept(s) following items:
- The manuscript I have submitted to BUJE for review is original and, it is not concurrently being considered for publication by any other journal(s).
- The manuscript has been written by the stated author(s) and has not been published in any format elsewhere.
- The manuscript does not violate or infringe the copyright, or other rights of any person or entity.
- The author(s) agrees to grant the following rights to BUJE:
- the right to edit and process the manuscript,
- the right to publish the manuscript in digital form on the Web and in print.