Character and Values for Global Citizens: A Study with Preservice Science Teachers
The main purpose of this paper was to investigate preservice science teachers‘ sense of character and values as global citizens; namely their ecological worldview, social and moral compassion and socioscientific accountability. Convenience sampling was used and Character and Values as Global Citizens Assessment Questionnaire was administered to 201 preservice science teachers across different grade levels. Factor analysis extracted five main factors of the questionnaire: Interconnectedness, moral and ethical sensitivity, perspective-taking, empathic concerns, and feeling of responsibility under three components of ecological worldview, social and moral compassion, and socioscientific accountability. Besides, preservice science teachers scored moderately high on the components, ecological worldview, social and moral compassion and socioscientific accountability. The participants scored highest on Empathic concerns dimension and lowest on Feeling of responsibility dimension. The implications of the findings were also presented.
By submitting a manuscript to BUJE, an author or all authors accept(s) following items:
- The manuscript I have submitted to BUJE for review is original and, it is not concurrently being considered for publication by any other journal(s).
- The manuscript has been written by the stated author(s) and has not been published in any format elsewhere.
- The manuscript does not violate or infringe the copyright, or other rights of any person or entity.
- The author(s) agrees to grant the following rights to BUJE:
- the right to edit and process the manuscript,
- the right to publish the manuscript in digital form on the Web and in print.